2013-03-14

Dreadline

So I mentioned it briefly in last week's Sunday Snippet that I set a deadline for my novel, Wrath. Or, as I wrote in the title, a Dreadline. It's the date that I dread to pass without significant progress.

I self-publish, so you might ask why I set a Dreadline. It's not like I have anyone to answer to, if I miss it. Well, I'll sum it up briefly.

It's because of that exact fact; I don't have anyone to answer to. Well, not anyone who will turn away my book if I don't make it. I'm sure that my body might be found in twenty years after I'm brutally murdered by those who've been soundboarding for me. Might be, I say, because they're devious and terrifying.

Ro Mae will be leading them.

But alas, back to the point. I started Children of Sin back in late 2011, early 2012. I have still to finish the first rough draft. It's because I'm not setting expectations for myself. I figure I'll write when I have time.

Amazing how you can find everything that needs to be done after saying that.

Procrastination is a problem I've struggled with for years. I figure, by setting a Dreadline, I'll make it feel as if I don't have a choice. I make it, or else. (Being a psychological horror writer, that leaves plenty to my imagination!) By having that looming deadline ahead of me, I will pick up my pace, and work harder to reach certain points.

How will I accomplish that?

Simple, by starting my advertising early. I'm setting the date of my publication one week after my Dreadline. That's the date I have to make. I'm giving myself plenty of time still, because I don't want to rush too much and lower the potential. But I need to get it done, or I'll never do it. So by announcing and promoting that my book will come out on this day, I'm making myself accountable to walk the talk. My reputation and future as an authour is on the line. And it's only my fault if I don't make it.

So, without further ado, let me tell you that date.

July 11, 2013

Woohoo! Let's get this party started! Keep an eye out for special offers, events, and prizes as we move closer to the Dreadline!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is appreciated! Please take a moment to leave your impression.