2012-05-30

Snippet: Children of Sin

So I've mentioned this before, a while ago now, but I'm working on an original book. I put it on the back-burner while class picked up and real life came and invaded my free-time, but Ro (the wonderful woman she is) kicked my ass back into gear; I wrote the first draft for over five chapters last weekend.

So keep in mind that this is the first draft, so it's subject to change (and has enough errors to choke on), but I thought I'd share a little Snippet with you. This scene screamed "cute!" at me, and I want some fluffy feelings going around. The overall book doesn't have much of it, so take all you can get, right?






“Matt! Wes! Look!” Angel’s voice called out, and I obediently look her way to see what she wanted. She was pointing to the sky, where a streak of white cloud was making its way across the orange-tinted sky.

“That’s an airplane!” I shout to her, and she shakes her head.

“Nu-uh! Airplanes are really big! I don’t see anything but a magic cloud!”

“It’s really really high up,” I tell her, “so even if the airplane is big, you can’t see it. You can see the smoke it leaves though!”

“It’s not an airplane, it’s a magic cloud!” She shrieks, stomping her foot. Sensing a temper tantrum forming, I quickly move towards her, picking her up. I toss her once into the air, catching her and cradling her close to my body.

“I think it’s time you got to sleep, little missy,” I tell her, poking her nose. She wrinkles it, shaking her head.

“No! I want to make a wish!”

“You have one minute to do that then,” I say firmly, reaching my other hand out to Chloe. She takes it, planting herself firmly against my side. Wes chuckles, walking behind us as we head back to Wes’ apartment.

“I wish… I wish Matt and Chloe never go away. I want to be with them forever!” She shouts to the sky, and I swallow. I hug her, whispering in her ear.

“The magic cloud will make your wish come true, Angel. I’ll never leave you.” Chloe echoes my words, poking Angel.

“If we left you all alone, you’d drive everyone bonkers!” she teased, and Angel frowned.

“What’s that mean?”

“It means everyone would act silly, and you wouldn’t get candy anymore,” I say with a straight face; Chloe is hiding her smile next to me. Angel turns terrified, her large red eyes pleading in turn with her words.

“Don’t leave me alone! I can’t live without candy!”

“Oh, it gets worse,” I continue, pretending to be serious, “They will make you eat all your vegetables, and you will eat carrots at every meal for the rest of your life.”

“No!” she screams, burying her head into my shoulder. I rub her back, sighing with great exaggeration.

“So you must work very hard to not drive people bonkers, okay?” I tell her, and she nods vigorously. “Then you have nothing to worry about! Chloe will still eat all your carrots for you.”

“Good! They’re gross!” She states, her voice muffled by my shirt.

I can’t keep the grin off my face any longer; Wes laughing uncontrollably behind me doesn’t help my credibility either.




What do you think? Drop a comment!

-M. Hendrix

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is appreciated! Please take a moment to leave your impression.